Cesar Joaniquet (Barcelona 1988) is emerging as an important new voice in the improvised music scene. He performs all around Scandinavian countries and Spain in various settings and formations. Rooted in the jazz tradition, he creates music that is informed by a multitude of contemporary influences resulting in a sound that is lyrical, at times orchestral, but above all current.
Own works and projects:
- 2020 'Anillos Blancos' - The work was premiered in Riis Toft Salen, Kolding on the 24th September 2020 by the orchestra Lalabaj on the Festival 'On the Move' 2020
- 2019 'Riot' - The work was premiered in Aarhus Musikhuset on the 3th September 2019 by the orchestra Blood Sweat Drum and Bass under the direction of Jens Christian 'Chappe' Jensen.
- 2019 Zero Kestra - music composed for four winds and rhythm section.
- 2018 'Sonum Cathedralis' - The work is written for the Aarhus Jazz Orchestra, Indra and Skt. Clemens Drengekor under the leadership of Carsten Seyer-Hansen. It was premiered in the cathedral of Aarhus on December 21, 2018
- 2018 'Sketches of Barcelona' - written for a rhythmic orchestra (Aarhus Jazz Orchestra) and international soloists. Jorge Rossy (ES), RJ Miller (USA) and Anna-Lena Schnabel (DE). The work premiered during the Winter Jazz Festival on February 21, 2018
- 2017 'Winds of Winter' - the work premiered at Aarhus Musikhuset on February 1, 2017 and then performed at Jamboree Barcelona on April 25, 2017.
- 2016 Tsu-Na-Mi - Repertoire of own trio written for two winds and drums. Presented at Aarhus Jazz Festival 2016 and Tsuki Jazzfest.
- 2015 Songbook - Trio project based in Aarhus, Denmark. Recorded the album "Songbook" in January 2015 with Brice Soniano, bass. Kasper Tom, drums.
- 2014 Betania - work written for a set of winds, with string quartet.
- 2014 In Motion - own trio repertoire written for saxophone, guitar and drums.
- 2015 Advanced Postgraduate in Music (Soloist), Royal Academy of Music, Aarhus (Denmark).
- 2012 Nordic Master in Jazz, Postgraduate programme in Rhythmic Performance, Sibelius Academy (Helsinki), 2013 KMH Royal College of Music in Stockholm and 2014 Royal Academy of Music, Aarhus (Denmark).
- 2011 Berklee College of Music (Boston) - Diploma in Performance
- 2010 Bachelor of Music ESMUC (College of Music of Catalunya, Barcelona)
- Aarhus Jazz Orchestra - Professional Danish Jazz BigBand founded in 1977 by the legendary Jens Klüver (then: Klüvers Big Band). The orchestra is made up of some of the best musicians in the Danish jazz scene. Several of them are soloists of international class.
- Ivo Sans ISCCJMKMB - A band based on the development of improvisation. 3 Live albums: Adorno, Yoruba and Darrera nit de Maig. Together with Ivo Sans, dr. Marcel.lí Bayer, alt sax. and Masa Kamaguchi, bs
- Els Tres Tenors - together with Lluc Casares, Gianni Gagliardi, tenor sax, Xavi Torres, piano, Vic Moliner, bass and Joan Terol, drums. Playing regularly a tour every year in Spain.
- Schulers Rhapsody - Band from the Swiss pianist Luzius Schuler, performed among others at BeJazz in Switzerland 2015.
- Daniel Sommer Orquestra - Band from Danish drummer and composer Daniel Sommer, presented at Aarhus Jazz Festival 2015.
- Carlos Falanga, Gran Coral - Carlos Falanga, drums, Jaume Llombart, electric bass, Jordi Matas, guitar, Marco Mezquida, piano and Cesar Joaniquet, sax.
- In Motion Trio - César Joaniquet, tenor sax, soprano. Kasper Agnas, guitar. Timo van Ruiswijk, Drums. Played concerts for example in New Sound Made Festival May 2013 (Stockholm), Jamboree Barcelona etc. Recording of the album In Motion Jan.2014
- Esben Brandt Kvartet - Recording of the album "Silence and Sound" feat. Fredrik Ljungkvist. Record release at Copenhaguen Jazz Festival 2013
- Dave Liebman Saxophone Quartet a Dinamarca - Tenor Sax in Dave Liebman Saxophone Quartet, played a small concert tour around Denmark summer 2013.
- Cesar Joaniquet NYC Quartet - Played around New York City between years 2011-2012. Recording of the album "Smog Eyes feat. Ted Brown" April 2012, NYC. Band Members: Cesar Joaniquet, tenor sax. Michael Kanan, piano. Lim Yang, bass. Marton Juhasz, drums
- Yuhan Su "Flying Alone" Project - Recording for Inner Circle Music Label that won the Golden Indie Music Award in Taiwan and Best Jazz Album of the year 2012
- Nonitz - Is a nonet project that plays the music of Lee Konitz lead by Marcel.lí Bayer. Recording of the album Nònitz together with Lee Konitz in November 2010. which has won awards for "best album of 2011" by "the Musicians Association Jazz and Modern Music of Catalonia " and "Critics Award" in the category of the awards Jaç Enderrock 2012.